Monday, February 26, 2007

And it goes to...

The Departed.

"Martin Scorcese calls The Departed the first movie I've ever done with a plot."

Good one. Well, if Marty has a weakness it's that he loses track of his stories. The Departed is a perfect example: for the last 45 minutes it forgets completely about Dignam, Mark Wahlberg's character, and leaves us with contrivances that would be solved in an instant if he ever showed up on screen. Finally he walks on and leaves us with a cheap ending.

I stand by my reaction that The Departed was not a great film. It was a very good one. Infernal Affairs was a great film. The reason The Departed won, I think, is partly because it was finally Martin Scorcese's moment, and partly because of its brilliant concept. I don't appreciate the producer not thanking the Hong Kong original, which actually delivered on said concept in a way The Departed did not.

As usual, the best picture award has not gone to the year's best movie. But how could it, since the year's best wasn't even nominated.

At least nothing important went to Babel.

And that's it for my blog on the Oscars. Goodnight everybody!

No comments: